Remember my DIY Headboard?
I'll be honest, when I made that headboard, I wasn't 100% satisfied. I didn't like the fabric a lot [not for my bedroom, that is], I wanted to tuft it but had no clue how and I also wasn't brave enough to set it to a height I wanted it to be at.
So almost after 2 years, I finally updated the headboard with everything I wanted.
I decided I would reuse the old headboard so I took the old cover out. It was a breeze and I reused it for the purpose it was intended to be at the first place.
|On My Dining Table!|
Then I measured and marked the back of my headboard for where I want to tuft and drilled some holes with my trusted drill :)
The spacing I used was 7.5" by 8.5" for my 5'X2.5' headboard.
Just a heads up, trying to drill the board from the front with your batting still on will break your drill bits [lesson learnt the hard way].
Making the buttons for tufting wasn't that bad once I got the hold of it.
For my supplies I went to Fabricland and got myself some tufting buttons, some strong thread and the longest needle I could find there. Instead of using upholstery grade threads I used craft and button grade and it was still strong enough for all the pull and stretch.
|Thread and Needle|
I also got my fabric from there. I used good ol' canvas this time and am so glad I did! I looks so sophisticated and chic!
I used the same process I used before and stapled the fabric to the board.
Once we had everything ready to go, I took out the needle and started the tufting process.
I inserted the needle through the holes I made earlier at the back, hubby got the tufting button in and sent it right back to me :)
Make sure you have a lot of thread at the back for tieing and pulling. I re-threaded my needle with long sections for each button.
We used all the old buttons lying around the house [and on hubbys shirts] to tie the tufts from the back. Got this tip from another blog, can't remember where but will link it as soon as I do.
And here is the end result
|DIY Tufted Headboard|
Will do so in time, but for now, this'll work :D
[update: you can steam the fabric to get rid of the creases too]
The total cost of this headboard for me was $38
Here is the breakdown:
Fabric 2 yard @ $12/yard - $24
Button kit pack $2.5
Buttons 3 pack of 5 buttons each @ $2.5 each - $7.5
Already had the staple gun, drill and screws and reused the board, foam and padding from my old headboard.
When I'll open the cover to fix the creases [if I do], I may add some more batting for that fluffy feeling. I may also add more tufts between the current ones if I feel like. hmm...that's a lot of planning :/